The Time, if you were curious.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Did You Say Something?

I was traversing the internet one day and I happened upon one of the best internet quotes I have ever seen. My friend later put it onto a desktop background and it amuses him to no end.


The quote itself can be found on his drafting background here: http://i25.tinypic.com/33c44lw.jpg


This quote got me thinking, what was going through the author's head as he typed it down onto the message board? Maybe English was his second language and it was a simple mistake. Maybe, just maybe, s/he was attempting to say three different things, but was in a hurry so they all got bunched together. I started thinking about language and how many languages are being brutalized on the internet. When I say "brutalized" I mean of course the misspellings, the shortcuts, the LOLs. Many on the internet are thankful for spell-check, or they would be if they used it. Or typing an essay, how many out there take the time to capitalize every "I" instead of letting f7 do all the proper work?

Why has the internet fallen to this, maybe because with each and every typo, we personalize our post. Maybe because the errors we have in ourselves are shown through our carelessness in our speech or text. I'll be the first to admit that I have my faults. I'm unmotivated I have a short attention span, I occasionally succumb to writer's block. I feel as though I could give more of myself to people. I have low pride, I'm a giver, I find it hard to take what I didn't earn or work for. I try to make every post something that I can look back on without cringing. I try not to be the one post or comment that confuses everyone with incorrect wording.

So please, for anyone out there reading this, please put a little more effort into your posts/comments/statuses, your language is counting on you to keep it alive.

1 comment:

Britt said...

I agree I find it annoying how people have resorted to abbreviations to uphold a conversation. My little sister writes that way a lot and I actually ignore her every time she text messages me because I hate trying to figure out her made up words.